The Privacy Statement (the "Statement") that follows describes the collection, use and disclosure of information practices by Classified Ventures, LLC (“CV”, “us” ‘we”) in connection with the operation of our Web sites www.apartments.com, www.rentalhomesplus.com, www.apartmentlhomeliving.com, www.movingcenter.com and our related mobile applications. (collectively, the “Site”) This Statement also applies to the national version of Apartments.com as well as to any other versions or pages of Apartments.com that we operate, including versions or pages that Apartments.com co-brands or private labels with its newspaper and broadcast affiliates and other partners (collectively, "Affiliates"). For example, you may have arrived at a co-branded version of Apartments.com from an Affiliate's Web site, in which case, that Affiliate will be clearly identified at the top of the home page of this Site. In this Statement Apartments.com may refer to those versions of the Site as "Affiliate Versions." Please be aware that Apartments.com may share any information you submit through this Site with Affiliates, as described below. During your visit to any Affiliate Version, the Affiliate may independently collect other information from you.
Collection of Personally Identifiable Information
You are not required to provide any personally identifiable information to visit the Site. CV automatically collects Usage Data (as described below) and may collect ZIP codes and other information in connection with your use of the Site(e.g., the type of apartment you are looking for). We collect personally identifiable information only when you provide it. You may be required to provide personally identifiable information to use certain services. In addition, you may submit personally identifiable information in other ways, including: (a) participating in online surveys, promotions, contests and sweepstakes; (b) subscribing to newsletters, editorial content, or promotional content sent via email (which have opt-out instructions if you wish to unsubscribe); and (c) in connection with other products, services, features, or requests made available through the Site. We also publish toll-free phone numbers for many of the properties that list apartments for rent on the Site. If you dial one of these phone numbers, the Site or a service provider operating on the Site’s behalf may record the date, time and length of your call and the phone number from which the call originated, along with other information that may be captured. Any Usage Data and/or personally identifiable information resulting from such calls may be used as described in this Statement, including for follow up marketing purposes. The types of personally identifiable information collected will depend on the nature of the submission or the features of the Site used, but could include your name, address, phone number, email address and credit card information. In the event that you purchase an ad in a print/online package through a newspaper Affiliate, the Affiliate is required to share your name, phone number and email address with CV in order to allow us to process and maintain your ad.
Passive Information Collection
The Site automatically collects information and may also customize your visit through technical means, including the following:
Cookies: Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer's hard drive by computers (or servers) to identify your computer.
Web Beacons: Web beacons (also known as pixel tags, Internet tags, clear GIFs, or single-pixel GIFs) are electronic images embedded into a Web page.
IP Address Logs: CV also logs Internet Protocol (IP) addresses— the location of your computer on the Internet.
Cookies allow CV to recognize you when you visit the Site, to personalize your experience and generally to serve you better. For example, if you enter your name, address or ZIP code on one of the Site's forms, it may be stored in a cookie so you do not have to enter it again on other forms on the Site. Cookies and Web beacons
(which may be placed by us or a third party tracking utility partner) can tell us what advertising you have seen on the Site, which allows CV to offer you a more diverse selection of advertising information and may also be used together to measure the effectiveness of our advertising campaigns. Cookies, Web beacons and IP addresses are also used to compile data regarding Site usage (what Web site you came from, what pages of the Site you visit, how long you were on the Site, what type of browser you are using, what Web site did you go to, etc.). This type of tracking does not identify you personally. Web beacons may also be included in emails sent by the Site to determine when and if such emails are opened or forwarded. You can disable cookies or otherwise manage them through tools provided with your browser software and with third-party software packages. If you turn off cookies, many of the Site's features will not work as well or at all. Anonymous information regarding usage of our Site and services that is collected and/or aggregated by or on behalf of Apartments.com through the use of such technical means or otherwise is referred to in this Statement as "Usage Data."
have access or control over these cookies.
Flash LSOs: We use local shared objects, also known as Flash cookies, to store your preferences such as volume control or high game score, or display content based upon what you view on our site to personalize your visit. Third Parties, with whom we partner to provide certain features on our site or to display advertising based upon your Web browsing activity, use Flash cookies to collect and store information.
Flash cookies are different from browser cookies because of the amount of, type of, and how data is stored. Cookie management tools provided by your browser will not remove Flash cookies. To learn how to manage privacy and storage settings for Flash cookies click here:
Personally Identifiable Information. Personally identifiable information collected by CV through your use of the Site may be stored on servers or in a cookie on your computer and may be used by us for any of the following purposes:
- To confirm or fulfill a request that you make (e.g., in order to send you apartment information you have requested, CV will share your contact information with a participating Site property owner and/or management company).
- To follow up on any request that you have previously made (e.g., the Site may contact you to determine whether the property owner and/or management company responded to your original request).
- To communicate with you regarding the Site service (e.g., the Site may send you emails or call you to confirm an apartment availability inquiry or to notify you that you have received a lead regarding an apartment you have advertised or to request that you participate in a survey).
- To send promotional materials, newsletters, or other content via email or otherwise, unless you have indicated that you do not wish to receive such materials.
- To permit third parties to whom the Site may disclose personally identifiable information specifically for direct marketing purposes to send you promotional or informational messages, but only if you have first affirmatively agreed to receive such messages.
- To improve your user experience.
- To manage its relationships with Affiliates, customers, and other third parties to which the Site may disclose personally identifiable information pursuant to this Statement (e.g., to provide reporting to Affiliates and customers, to provide customer support, and to resolve disputes).
- For Site administration, analysis, research, development, optimization and other internal purposes, including, without limitation, to compile Usage Data.
Usage Data: Usage Data is used by the Site for administrative, analytical, research, optimization and other purposes. For example, the Site may use statistical analyses of Usage Data in order to measure interest in the various areas of the Site, for development purposes and to inform advertisers and partners in aggregate and anonymous terms about consumers who click on their advertising or other messages. IP Addresses are also used for systems administration and troubleshooting purposes.
With respect to promotional materials and newsletters that the Site may send via email from time to time, the Site will not continue to send you such communications if you ask us not to by following the unsubscribe instructions in each promotional email from the Site or by a request sent to email@example.com. However, you agree that the Site may send to you, and you cannot opt out of, communications of a transactional or relationship nature, including, but not limited to, communications regarding fraudulent or illegal activity, account status, changes to this Statement or the Site’s Terms of Service, as well as communications to confirm, fulfill and follow up on your registration, service or a request submitted through the Site.
The Site may share personally identifiable information that you provide with third parties in the following cases:
- Affiliates. The Site may share your personally identifiable information with Affiliates on the condition that the Affiliates' disclosure and use of the information is consistent with this Statement.
- Requests. The Site maintains relationships with third party providers for some of the products and services offered through the Site. If you request information or services through the Site, you agree that the Site may share personally identifiable information as may be necessary to provide such information to or perform such services for you. For example, if you request information about a unit or floor plan for a property advertised on the Site, Apartments.com will share the information collected through such request with that property (or its designee) and any other parties providing that listing (e.g., if a third party management company provides the listing to us on behalf of the property or our “Feedback” service provider may collect information and ideas on our behalf). In some cases, the information that you provide through the Site may be collected directly by a third party or its designee (e.g., through forms hosted by such third party or on a page framed with the Site’s branding). Personally identifiable information also may be shared with the specific third parties that can respond to your requests in the form of reporting and other follow-up communications. The subsequent use or disclosure of any information collected by or provided to third parties is subject to their privacy policies and practices.
- Sweepstakes/Promotions. In the event that you participate in a sweepstakes, contest, or other promotion on the Site that is sponsored by the Site and a third party, we reserve the right to share personally identifiable information collected in conjunction with the sweepstakes, contest or promotion with the third party. After the information is provided to such third parties, the subsequent use or disclosure of such information is subject to those third parties’ privacy policies and practices.
- Direct Marketing. Except as provided herein, it is the Site’s policy not to disclose personally identifiable information of our customers to third parties specifically for the third parties' direct marketing purposes. If you are 18 years of age or older and have affirmatively agreed to receive third party direct marketing materials, the Site may share your personally identifiable information with third parties for direct marketing purposes. Although the Site will endeavor to notify all third-party direct marketers that the information provided to them is confidential, the subsequent use or disclosure of information is subject to those third parties’ privacy policies and practices.
- Service Providers. The Site works with third parties that provide services on its behalf. Examples include providers of analytical, development, promotional, research, Live Chat, and credit card processing and other services. For example, the Site may ask that a third party conduct an online survey or sweepstakes or send newsletters on its behalf. Similarly, if you make a payment to the Site by credit card, the Site will share your personally identifiable information and credit card information with a third party in order to process credit card transactions, or such information may be collected directly by the credit card processing service provider on the Site’s behalf. In such cases, the Site requires that the third party maintain your personally identifiable information as confidential and use the information only to perform the services specified by the Site and not for their own promotional purposes.
- Email List Opt-Outs. In the event the Site sends promotional emails to you on behalf of third-party advertisers and you inform the Site you wish to opt out of future promotional emails from a particular third party, the Site will share your email address with that third party so the third party may add you to its opt-out lists.
- Other. The Site expressly reserves the right to release any personally identifiable information or other information you provide to third parties under the following circumstances: (a) when required by law or legal process, (b) to investigate and/or take action against illegal activity, suspected abuse, or unauthorized use of the Site ’s services, (c) to protect the property or safety of our users or others, (d) to enforce our Terms of Service and (e) in connection with any sale or other transfer of ownership of all or a part of CV or any of its businesses. If you make any personally identifiable information publicly available on the Site (e.g., by posting a listing which contains personally identifiable information), anyone may see and use such information and Apartments.com is not responsible for such use. The Site reserves the right to share any personally identifiable information you post on the Site with third parties with your prior consent. To the extent the Site does so, the subsequent use and disclosure of such information is subject to the privacy policies and practices of those third parties.
Please note that the messages that the Site sends to you to confirm, fulfill, or follow up on a request may incidentally include promotional material or other content from the Site or its partners. In the case of these messages, the Site is not sharing your personally identifiable information with those third parties. The Site reserves the right to share Usage Data with any third party for any reason.
Your location is obtained from the mobile device or the network, or directly from you, and is used to search for information you may need – including local searches for rental properties. When we execute such searches on your behalf we do not transfer your identity or personally identifiable information to third parties, other than the rental property owners. This information is not used to create a profile about you or your activities. Your location is only stored in the app if you save your location (rental property) searches and may be deleted by you by clearing your search history. Location coordinates are shared with our geocoding service provider (such as Google Maps) only to perform the task of providing maps and directions per your request.
Other information about your device:
We collect non-personally identifiable information from your mobile device in order to provide our services to you. Information may include device type and mobile service carrier. No information, including location information, is shared with any third parties for marketing purposes. Our apps do not interact or share information with any other applications installed on your mobile device.
"For Rent By Owner" Ads
When purchasing a “For Rent By Owner” online classified listing (a “FRBO Ad”), it is important to note that any information you choose to include in a FRBO Ad may be made publicly available via the Site and other media in which the Site listings are published, including third party Web sites and print publications. For example, you may include a phone number and/or an email address to allow users to contact you regarding your FRBO Ad. As such, you may receive unsolicited phone calls and emails from third parties, even after your FRBO Ad is no longer on the Site. Except for required information, you should not include any contact or other information in a FRBO Ad that you do not want other parties to see or use. If you wish to access, verify the accuracy of, or change the personally identifiable information in your FRBO Ad account, you can use the interface available at https://secure.apartments.com/common/emaillogin.aspx.
Access to Personally Identifiable Information
If your personal information changes, or if you no longer desire our service,
you may correct, delete inaccuracies, or update it by emailing us at
firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond to your access request within 30 days.
We will retain your information as needed to provide you services. If you wish
to request that we no longer use your information to provide you services
contact us at email@example.com. We will retain and use your information
as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce
To request removal of your personal information from our blog, community forums
or testimonials, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In some cases we may not
be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know
if we are unable to do so and why.
The Site may offer message boards, bulletin boards, chat rooms, comments areas, or other forums ("Forums") on the Site that are intended for use by visitors who are 18 years of age or older. Any information you disclose when posting a message in these Forums may become public. You should not include any information in your posting that you do not want other parties to see or use. Moreover, if you post any messages in the Forums that include your email address or phone number you may receive unsolicited email or calls from third parties.
From time to time, the Site posts testimonials received from users of the Site. We receive permission to post testimonials that include personally identifiable information including photographs prior to posting on the Site.
Email a Friend
The Site offers you the ability to email certain pages or content of the Site to a friend or other third party. If you choose to use the “Email a Friend” functionality, your name, email address and any message you are allowed to include will be visible to the recipient of the email. Apartments.com does not use the names and addresses stored through the "Email a Friend" functionality for any purpose other than sending a one-time email to your friend. The "Email a Friend" functionality is for informational purposes only and you may not use it for any unlawful purpose, including any harassment or threats.
Changes to this Statement
Notification of Changes: Any changes to this Statement will be posted on the Site in this location and this Statement will be identified as "Updated". If we change how we use your personally identifiable information, we will notify you here, by email, or by means of a notice on our home page. Your continued use of the Site after such notice constitutes acceptance of such changes.
Your personally identifiable information is one of our most valuable assets. We follow generally accepted industry standards to keep it physically secure in our data centers and it is accessible only to authorized personnel as needed to perform operations governed by this policy. In addition, when the Site collects credit card information from you, the Site uses Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption, the industry standard for protecting privacy in Web transactions. Please keep in mind that despite these measures, the Site cannot guarantee or warrant 100% security of its servers and databases. Moreover, the Site cannot guarantee that personally identifiable information that you submit through the Site will not be intercepted or otherwise disclosed.
The Site believes that it is especially important to protect children's privacy online. The Site does not knowingly collect or use any personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13 and Site does not knowingly provide any personally identifiable information, regardless of its source, to any third party for any purpose whatsoever from visitors younger than 13 years old. No information should be submitted to or posted at the Site by visitors younger than 13 years old.
This Site contains links to other sites. While RentalHomesPlus.com encourages our business partners to adopt privacy policies and practices that build users' trust and confidence in the Internet, RentalHomesPlus.com is not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of third parties or any of the content of Web sites linked to the Site or any third-party products or services offered through the Site.
Collection of Information by Third Parties
including Google, may collect non-personally identifiable information about your visits to the Site and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements
across the internet about goods and services of interest to you. The Google
Analytics feature implemented and used on this Site include Remarketing Display
Advertising. In addition, the Site may share statistical and behavioral data about visitors to our Sites with these third-party advertising companies for the purpose of managing and targeting advertisements on the Site and/or on other Web sites. These third-party advertising companies may note some of the pages you visit on the Site through the use of Web beacons. In the course of serving advertisements to you, these third-party advertising companies may also place or recognize a unique "cookie" on your computer to allow them to recognize Web beacons and otherwise improve advertising effectiveness. If you would like more information about the information collection practices of some of these third party advertising companies and learn which of these companies allow you to opt-out of this type of information collection, please click here. Visitors can opt-out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising and customize Google Display Network ads using the Ads Preferences Manager.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Statement, please email us at email@example.com.
© 2007 - 2010 Classified Ventures, LLC, 175 West Jackson, Suite 800, Chicago, IL 60604
Last updated: 10/06/11